What are key transportation benefits of the plan?
There are many:
- Connects all our communities – Provides transit connections to all Wake County towns.
- Quick results – Enhancements begin almost immediately after the referendum, with bus service increasing to 19 hours per day, 7 days per week.
- Frequent service – Expands our existing 17 miles of frequent (buses every 15 minutes) service to 83 miles to complement existing transit investments.
- Rush-hour relief – More express buses and commuter rail service parallel to I-40 will provide freedom of choice for travelers during rush-hour.
- Broad access – 50% of all homes and 70% of all jobs within 1/2 mile of a transit stop.
- Part of a regional strategy – The plan complements proposed road investments on 540, US 1, US 64, and express lanes, as well as Durham and Orange transit improvements.
- Short-term completion – The entire plan can be implemented within 10 years, meaning faster results while keeping up with new technologies.